[CCWG-ACCT] ST-18 and 2/3 Threshold Proposal

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Tue Nov 17 23:52:48 UTC 2015

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 5:55 PM, <Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch> <Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch> wrote:
>
> Dear Keith
>
> We are having very interesting discussions in the ST-18 subgroup. Would be really good to discuss your points there.
>
> Just briefly to respond that the GAC Dublin consensus input to the CCWG supports the autonomy of ACs to establish their own definition of consensus, that for the GAC it is currently so that it decides on its own definition of consensus (which triggers the mutually accepted solution procedure), and that the “decisional role” is being offered not only to the GAC but all interested SO and ACs. As to the 2/3 threshold it is nothing new and it was part of the GAC Dublin consensus input.

Sorry to quote one message but refer to a good number of them, but I noticed a good number of GAC Members mentioning what the GAC Dublin consensus input means; frankly, I've read it a few times and it still seems to have some "creative ambiguity" around, which usually indicate some sort of compromise among GAC members to postpone non-consensus positions to other date and fora, such as CCWG.

So, I would be extremely careful in applying the GAC Dublin input as meaning some of what has been mentioned here as what it means. For instance, the passage below:
"In	assessing	the	specific	accountability	recommendations	put	forth	so	far	by	the	CCWGAccountability, the	GAC	considers	that	whatever	the	final	outcome	of	this	process	may	be,	the	new	accountability	framework	to	be	agreed	upon	must	preserve	the	current	role	of	governments	in	ICANN"
could be interpreted as blocking any change such as the 2/3 threshold, since that wouldn't preserve but increase the role of governments.

OTOH, the Dublin input suggests that a proposal is forthcoming, and such a proposal might be more clear in many aspects.

Rubens