[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Nov 20 20:05:04 UTC 2015

MM: Are you saying that registry and registrar services don’t use IP addresses or domains?
​GS: I am saying that the type of "use" referred to here is not the use in the sense of owning a domain name or typing in a domain name, whether its being done by registry operators, registrars or my Aunt Tillie.  They may initiate a chain of events that leads to a software process "using" an IP address or domain name, but initiating that chain of events is not using a unique identifier, any more than I use a carburetor when I drive a car. ​

MM: This is a weird and idiosyncratic application of the word “use.” You do use a carburetor when you drive a car. No one else uses the term use in the way you are doing here.

THAT is clearly incorrect. Are you saying they are not services?
​GS:  In the great wide world, "services' can refer to operations that are carried out by "service providers," and more loosely, even to those "service providers" themselves.  In that context, sure, they are services, and my law firm is a service, and the nail salon downstairs is a service.  What I'm saying ​is that, in this context, in this provision, "service" does not refer to businesses that provide services, and not even to the service that the service provider provides directly to another business or individual.  In this context, service refers to processes such as web services (as defined in my prior email) and mail services (as defined in my prior email).

MM: Again, a very idiosyncratic use of the word. In fact, it is the regulation of service providers and even people that we are concerned about, not regulation of the technical processes.