[CCWG-ACCT] "Services" etc. Board comments on the Mission statement

CW Mail mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Fri Nov 20 20:37:34 UTC 2015

Good evening:

This debate is becoming inconclusive to the point of being undignified. At the very least it is postponing agreement in relation to whatever transition deadlines one chooses to respect.
Why don't we just cleave to the status quo? After all, ICANN has been in business for 15+ years. Has the definition of "services" been an issue in the past? Answers to requests for examples of the problems that would be created/resolved by this or that definition of "services", have not been forthcoming. So what?

(a) 	there is a large body of documented policy in many countries regarding definitions of communications services, irrespective of CCWG's opinion.
 	I am not an expert in all that, but I would certainly not venture to propose that an alternative definition arising from our small group would hold sway in ICANN and beyond.

(b)	Insofar as there are few bottom lines in this discussion, I suggest that they do not need to be resolved before the accountability/transition process is complete: cleave to the status quo.
	Opinions and economic interests will continue to differ regarding multiple classes of content facilitated or prevented by ICANN and the DNS; irrespective of what is said in the Bylaws or in ICANN contracts. In any event, ICANN has to take into account applicable local law, whether that relates to trademarks, dénominations d'origine, privacy, consumer protection or the practices of regulated sectors, among others.

Accordingly, I doubt that the eventual outcome of the current debate about the definition of "services" is really likely to move forward either accountability or the transition.

Regards

CW