[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 21:11:41 UTC 2015

Greg:

I'd be interested to know how you would respond
to Andrew Sullivan's hypothetical:

>What about collaborating with anti-abuse people
>in taking down names that are the source of
>attacks.  Is that an imposition of an
>obligation on someone whose only connection to
>the DNS is the use you describe?

Wouldn't that be prohibited under your language
as "a regulation on services ... that use the Internet's unique identifiers"?

I think what confuses me is the meaning you're giving to "use." You wrote:

>I am saying that the type of "use" referred to
>here is not the use in the sense of owning a
>domain name or typing in a domain name, whether
>its being done by registry operators, registrars
>or my Aunt Tillie.  They may initiate a chain
>of events that leads to a software process
>"using" an IP address or domain name, but
>initiating that chain of events is not using a
>unique identifier, any more than I use a carburetor when I drive a car.

But you DO "use a carburetor" when you drive a
car, just as you use your car's tires,
transmission, etc. when you drive it.  Is that incorrect?

To reiterate something I said elsewhere, I'm not
at all opposed to crafting the prohibition to
concentrate on the services that ICANN cannot
regulate, if we can find language that does the job well.

David

book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n