[CCWG-ACCT] what ICANN can't regulate (was Re: Board comments on the Mission statement)

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Sat Nov 21 00:52:14 UTC 2015

On 20 Nov 2015, at 21:39, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 03:54:09PM -0500, David Post wrote:
>> This is a good example - can ICANN shut down my domain as part of its
>> "collaboration with anti-abuse people"?
>
> Unless you're a TLD, ICANN can't shut down your domain anyway (at
> least not without taking a whole bunch of other people out), so if
> that's all we're talking about it's not a problem.

On the contrary, ICANN can and does cause Registries to shut down some registrants' domains (by requiring them to redelegate it to another person without the initial registrants' consent).

We are arguing about the scope of circumstances in which ICANN should be permitted to do this. Constraining the range of circumstances is the entire point of this clause.

Malcolm.