[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Nov 22 15:44:46 UTC 2015

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 12:01:27AM -0800, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
> what necessarily rides on top of resolution. In layers, though resolution
> usually takes place over transport, so {udp|tcp}/ip, (in English, that is
> UDP or TCP over IP), what we really mean is a wart off of routing, a one
> time look up before routing.

The problem, though, is that the DNS lookups happen in the application
layer, just like http and everything else, no?  Moreover,

> instance of communication involves routing made by a device participating in

most web servers are not themselves doing any routing at all.  They're
using routes to send packets or complete datagrams, but are often
themselves ignorant of routing (indeed, often that ignorance is
exploited to permit anycast).

So I doubt this gets us closer.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan