[CCWG-ACCT] Addressing future scenarios in the present

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 21:38:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

Just thought I should share this interesting situation in one of the states
in my country:

There was a governorship election yesterday and the electoral commission
declared the result inconclusive, due to the difference in the votes of the
2 top candidates. The leading candidate died after announcement of the
election status. There then arise a question about what the next action
could be:

- The constitution has a provision for installing the deputy governor if
the governor elect dies, but in this case there is no governor elect yet.

- The electoral act has a provision to replace a candidate who dies before
the election, but in this case election has been conducted just that it's
inconclusive and electoral body is yet to announce next step of action.

The legislative arm of government cannot update constitution overnight to
address this scenario neither can such be done on the electoral act. It
remains a puzzle that has been left in the hands of the judicial system of
the country to address.

Why are my saying all these, it's to emphasis that one may not be able to
capture all the possible scenarios until they are experienced and when they
are experienced, the board and community  should be ready to address them
on case basis, including updating the governing document if applicable. It
is my hope that we face this realistically going forward.

Thanks for reading the short story,(apologies in advance if this annoys
anyone) do have a wonderful week ahead.

Regards

Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
Kindly excuse brevity and typos.