[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 07:08:03 UTC 2015

Bruce,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Bruce Tonkin <
Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:

> Hello Malcolm,
>

> >>  Reading the Board's message, and yours, I do get a sense that you
> worry that ICANN may have in the past taken actions for which no legitimate
> justification could be found within the existing Mission.
>
> Our concern was not so much the mission statement, which we supported, but
> attempts to craft restrictions on how that statement should be interpreted
> that may impact the current agreements and legitimate actions in future.

​GS: Bruce, unfortunately, you (and the Board) have hit the nail on the
head here.​  This is an attempt to use this process to undermine certain
current legitimate activity and valid contracts of ICANN.  Furthermore,
it's a "proxy battle" in an ongoing policy dispute, and this is an attempt
to "put a thumb on the scales" in that dispute by trying to put language
into the Bylaws that can be used in that dispute and to invalidate portions
of ICANN's contracts.

This has gone beyond replacing the NTIA as a backstop and finding ways for
the community to hold ICANN generally more accountable; in that sense, it's
(ironically) beyond the scope of the CCWG.

If this goes forward as some would want, how long do you think it will be
before the first IRP is filed challenging current ICANN activity using this
language as a basis for that challenge?

Greg