[CCWG-ACCT] TR: ST18 subgroup report Nov 23

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Mon Nov 23 21:58:14 UTC 2015

I do not understand why this presents only the European GAC proposal and Thomas Rickert's proposal. This implies that these were the only two options discussed, which is far from correct. They were last minute attempts to find consensus in the group -- and failed to achieve it.

A substantial number of participants supported requiring a full consensus in support of GAC advice if it was to trigger the obligation to try an reach a mutually acceptable solution. The without substantial objection language is ambiguous in meaning and also fails to specify who would determine if a minority was substantial or not.

What if the GAC amends OP 47 to define a substantial minority as no more than 10 (or 5, 8, 15, whatever) governments? Would that be binding on the Board?

Brett Schaefer
Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National Security and Foreign Policy
The Heritage Foundation
214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002
202-608-6097