[CCWG-ACCT] TR: ST18 subgroup report Nov 23

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Nov 24 04:06:50 UTC 2015

This proposal has substantial support and must be included in the report.

Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology

On Nov 23, 2015, at 18:29, Paul Rosenzweig <paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com<mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>> wrote:

I'm sorry to object again Mathieu, but your report left out a proposal that, by my count, was supported by nearly a dozen different members of the ST18 working group.  I am not at all sure why the summary does not include it.  It took many forms, but here is my own version of it:

The advice of the Governmental Advisory Committee on public policy matters shall be duly taken into account, both in the formulation and adoption of policies.
In the event that the ICANN Board determines to take an action that is not consistent with the Governmental Advisory Committee advice, it shall so inform the Committee and state the reasons why it decided not to follow that advice.

Any GAC advice approved by a full GAC consensus, understood to mean the practice of adopting decisions by general agreement in the absence of any formal objection, may only be rejected by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the Board.

With respect to such advice, the Governmental Advisory Committee and the ICANN Board will try, in good faith and in a timely and efficient manner, to find a mutually acceptable solution.

I would respectfully, but firmly, object to the exclusion of a proposal that has the support of a large number of participants and members  - I think there are at least three proposals to consider.  And indeed, a fourth (no change from Draft Report #2) is also plausible.

Best
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com<mailto:paul.rosenzweigesq at redbranchconsulting.com>