[CCWG-ACCT] advice/recommendation vs. decision making

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Nov 24 15:25:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

Neither advice nor a recommendation is a decision.
Both can be rejected by some margin in the Board's decision making.
The two words indicate the same level of decision making.
While nuance may be found in the definitions of advise and recommend,
their relation to another being the decision maker is identical.

Currently neither AC nor SOs have decision making capability.

In so far as community powers are decision making capabilities, both SO
and AC are being offered change from the advice/recommendation role  to
a decision making role on key ICANN issues.  SO are also being given an
extension in scope as they are being given a decision making role
outside their areas of direct responsibility.

I think that cutting this knot, may be easier done if we avoid
self-aggrandizing the roles of our SO/AC while denigrating the role of
other AC/SO.  The attempt we are involved in, is gaining a decision
making role for the community which non of us individually as SO/AC
currently has.

avri

---