[CCWG-ACCT] Resolution of Mission Language related to regulation and contract

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:39:56 UTC 2015

So let's probe this a bit.

Does that mean that future guidebooks can't disallow any future strings from consideration, unlike round 1?  I think you'll find a lot of people who would disagree that

	.horribly_insulting_string

should be allowed to proceed, including possibly the GAC.  (You can make up your own example, I think.  I don't want to be in the position of specifying an example and inciting bad responses.)

Or does this prohibition apply only to ICANN, Inc. and not the "ICANN community?"

Much as I'd like to treat domain names as arbitrary strings that have no meaning for the computers that parse them, they do have semantic content, sometimes very strong and offensive semantic content, and they will evoke strong reactions.

BTW, if they didn't have semantic content, they really would be useless to us, wouldn't they?  If that were the case, we might as well go back to using numbers instead.  POTS, anyone?

I think we had better get this right at the beginning rather than having it bedevil us in future new gTLD rounds.

George