[CCWG-ACCT] Update on Board discussions on the CCWG Update

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Nov 25 09:21:42 UTC 2015

Hello Edward,

>>  if financial impropriety is suspected this communities ability to have it's own independent auditors inspect the corporate books is essential.

Yes - I think we noted that we support that concept and want a suggest how that could be implemented.   If the community votes to investigate an issue of suspect fraud etc - it would be appropriate that the community could appoint a professional audit firm to investigate and report back to the community.   This is the so

>>  As would be in such situations unfettered access to the records and documents presented at Board meetings. Inspection is an exceptional right granted the community to ensure the base integrity of the corporation.

Sure - although our policy is already  to post such records and documents.

From:  https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/briefing-materials-guidelines-2011-03-21-en

" Guiding Principles for Review of Materials

In reviewing the Board Briefing Materials for publication, the following assumptions are to be applied:

1. Start with the presumption that all material will be posted.

2. If redaction is required, redact the smallest amount of material necessary; do not redact an entire document if redaction of a single paragraph will suffice.

3. Provide clear justification for each redaction.

4. Do not redact information that is already publicly available when the Board Briefing Materials are posted."

I can understand we may need a requirement for a independent auditor to see the redacted versions if the community passes a resolution to investigate an issue.

For the Board meeting of 28 Sept - the core board papers are available here:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/bm/briefing-materials-1-redacted-28sep15-en.pdf

There is another 142 page briefing document available here:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/bm/briefing-materials-4-28sep15-en.pdf

Again I don't think there is as big a gap here between the Board and the CCWG thinking.   I suspect some may not be aware of how to find materials of interest.

  The Board is looking at the implementation phase and how to ensure we understand what material should already be getting published  (i.e. where there are the gaps that the community is concerned about), and have specific "inspection" processes for the exceptions when something is not made public.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin