[CCWG-ACCT] IRP implementation oversight team EIO

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Nov 25 13:12:23 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Forwarding this Expression of Interest to the full list for the record on behalf of Becky Burr.

Thank you,

Brenda

Please consider this my formal Expression of Interest (EOI) to participate in the small group
drafting the operational details to implement the CCWG Accountability proposals with respect to the
Independent Review.

My resume is attached.  In sum, I am a corporate attorney with over 25 years experience in
technology and Internet law.  I was an adjunct professor of law at George Washington University Law
Center from January 2003 to May 2015.  I am currently Deputy General Counsel at Neustar.

I have been involved in DNS governance matters since before ICANN's formation and, in 1998, formally
recognized, on behalf of the US Department of Commerce (NTIA), ICANN as the private sector entity to
which responsibility for coordinating the DNS' system of unique identifiers would be transferred.
As the head of NTIA's Office of International Affairs (OIA), I negotiated the original MOU between
ICANN and the DOC, the original IANA functions contract, and the original registry and registrar
agreements between ICANN and Verisign, which included the original formulation of Consensus Policy,
otherwise known as the "Picket Fence."

Following my tenure with the US government I returned to private practice at Wilmer Cutler Pickering
(later WilmerHale).  As a volunteer serving ICANN's Evolution and Reform Committee (ERC) processes,
I drafted the original Independent Review charter in 2002 -  and identified at the time serious
deficiencies in the IRP.  I am extremely familiar with the operations of the IRP, both the positive
and the negative, having served as counsel to ICM, Inc., and participating in ICM's successful
invocation of the IRP as a witness.

As a member of the CCWG, I have served as the rapporteur for Work Stream 2, including development of
the proposed revisions to ICANN's Mission Statement, Commitments & Core Values and the revised IRP.

Becky Burr

J. Beckwith Burr

Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 /  <http://www.neustar.biz> neustar.biz