[CCWG-ACCT] NTIA Statement on ST 18

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Nov 26 12:32:13 UTC 2015

I don't agree that the NTIA statement makes GAC or governments less equal as a stakeholder. It is the GAC's special bylaw power to have its advice impose special requirements on the board that makes the GAC "first among equals". And those are the GAC's own words. To have less than full consensus for the special advising power is to make the GAC more than equal and to further empower it within ICANN in a way that is unacceptable to most non state actors, to Congress as well as the NTIA. The GAC has already been strengthened by becoming a voting member of the community mechanism. It is always been unreasonable for it to get this additional power and also ask for relaxed thresholds for its advice.

Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology