[CCWG-ACCT] Minority statements inclusion in report

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 22:10:21 UTC 2015

At 02:41 PM 11/30/2015, Silver, Bradley wrote:
>I cannot imagine how anyone could force ICANN to
>interpret and enforce 3.18 or any other
>provision in a manner that doesn't comport with
>ICANN's mission, particularly since we have
>language that says: ICANN shall act strictly in
>accordance with, and only as reasonably
>appropriate to achieve its Mission – ii.e. to
>ensure the stable and secure operation of the
>Internet's unique identifier systems.  Any and
>all actions taken under Section 3.18 or the RAA
>do not suddenly become immunized from scrutiny
>by acknowledging that the RAA is within  ICANN's mission.

Here's what I can easily imagine:  Registrar XYZ
is brought before the PICDRP, in a complaint
brought by the Consumer Federation of Mexico,
which asserts that XYZ is violating the mandatory
PICs because it does not enforce the contract
term prohibiting domain name holders from
engaging in "activity contrary to applicable
law"; specifically, it does not revoke domain
names that are being used to sell fraudulently
labeled goods.  The Registrar responds by saying:
revoking our accreditation on those grounds is
improper, because policing consumer fraud is
outside of ICANN's Mission.  The complainant
responds:  But the provisions of the Registry
Agreement and the RAA (including the PICs, and
Registy XYZ's obligation to include in their
agreements with Registered Name Holders
prohibiting them "from ... engaging in activity
contrary to applicable law," and "providing . . .
consequences for such activities including
suspension of the domain name") been
"grandfathered" into the Mission - i.e. deemed to
be within the scope of ICANN's powers.

That seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable way
to read the "grandfathering" language.  It's not
a case of forcing ICANN to enforce the contracts
in a manner that "doesn't comport with the
Mission" - it's a way that ICANN can use the
language of the existing agreements to expand the
definition of and boundaries around the Mission.

I take it you would say: that's not what the
Proposal means when it says that "the language of
existing registry and registrar agreements should
be grandfathered" - that the language is NOT meant to say that ICANN

I'm glad to hear that - but if it doesn't mean that, what does it mean?

You admit that the new language "acknowledg[es]
that the RAA is within ICANN's mission," but you
assert that that doesn't "immunize actions taken
under the RAA from scrutiny."  But I think it
certainly could be read to do just that.  In
fact, that strikes me as the natural reading of
the language.  If we're saying that the
provisions of the RAA are within ICANN's mission,
how can ICANN's actions to enforce those
provisions ever be outside the Mission?  That
doesn't make sense to me - and so it does indeed
look, to me, like any actions ICANN takes
pursuant to the provisions of the existing
agreements are "immunized from scrutiny."

David

>From:
>accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic
publications etc.  http://www.davidpost.com