[CCWG-ACCT] Lawyers' Meeting on Friday

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Oct 1 09:23:55 UTC 2015

Hi Bruce

What advice has Jones Day or ICANN's in house legal team given to the Board
- either directly or through management - or directly to management - that
has led to erroneous conclusions regarding whether or not the decisions to
exercise powers on the part of a member can be constrained or not?

Such erroneous conclusions were evident from the comments of some board
members in Los Angeles.

Can that advise or a summary of it be shared with the CCWG?

Thanks
Jordan

On Thursday, 1 October 2015, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
wrote:

> Hello Farzaneh,
>

> >>   I understand that the Board has made the Jones Day impact assessment
> available. But in a note it states that it has had discussions with
> advisors and staff. I would also like to request for any document that the
> Board has received in its discussion with the advisors and staff and notes
> of the  deliberation of their meetings.
>
> Yes our intent is to make all documents available.   So far the only one
> that I am aware of is the Jones Day analysis that was published.
>
> We received verbal briefings form the Advisors to the CCWG (
> https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Advisors) , and I
> understand these advisors also gave verbal briefings to the CCWG, as well
> as any written comments they have posted to the public comments forum.
>

> Regards,
> Bruce Tonkin

Jordan Carter
Chief Executive, InternetNZ