[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Regarding GAC participation

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Thu Oct 1 14:39:13 UTC 2015

On 01/10/2015 15:27, James Gannon wrote:
> Kavouss,
> I refer you to paragraph 306 of our 2nd draft proposal which states:
>
>     As required by law, the Sole Member in the Community Mechanism as
>     Sole Member Model would be a legal person created through the ICANN
>     Bylaws as an unincorporated association. The Community Mechanism as
>     Sole Member Model would rely on direct participation by SOs and ACs
>     in this sole member for exercise of community powers but would not
>     require any of them to have legal personhood. The Sole Member would
>     have no officers or directors and no assets.
>
> So it is clear that we have not dropped unincorporated association
> totally as the SMCM would be required to be an unincorporated association.
>
> I hope that makes things clearer as to what I am referring to.

I think there is a simple miscommunication here.

Our first reference model was Empowered SOACs as Unincorporated
Associations. This would require turning the SOACs into UAs. That was
problematic. We dropped it. It's not coming back.

Our current reference model is the Single Member. This wouldn't require
the SOACs to change at all. Californian law may deem the Single Member
to be considered a UA in itself, but this is just a matter of statutory
construction. The Single Member has no registration or reporting
requirements, no need for officers, directors, assets etc. It is simply
a legal notion. So there's really no need to focus on the fact that a
lawyer would construe the Single Member as a UA, because that doesn't
imply what people would think it implies.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929