[CCWG-ACCT] Board Transparency on Accountability Now ----RE: A way to avoid the 'The Single Member Can Do Anything!' problem

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Fri Oct 2 00:43:38 UTC 2015

Steve:

Thanks for this great summary of transparency aspects in WS1 and WS2.

However, in my view, there is one glaring omission, and that is a requirement for greater transparency in  Board operations.

We live in an age where nearly every operation of government in democratic nations is web-streamed live. And ICANN is committed to transparency. Yet there are no videos or audios of Board meetings, no transcripts, and the minutes provide little in the way of detail regarding how decisions were reached and whether there was any significant dissent by individual Board members.

In my personal view, the default for all Board activities should be full transparency, with redaction only for narrowly circumscribed matters. So, may I inquire whether the new COMMITMENT 1 you have noted below would have any effect on Board transparency?

Beyond that inquiry, I am not arguing for moving transparency matters into WS1 because of their legal and operational complexity – with one key exception.

I would favor WS1 requiring that all Board activities encompassing Accountability matters relating to the IANA transition be fully transparent to the community once a final proposal has been approved by the Chartering Organizations.

My reason for that position is that there is at present a yawning gap between the information available to the Board regarding the community’s activities on accountability matters, versus the community’s access to Board consideration of the same subject.

The Board has full access to every email and every opinion from CCWG counsel at the moment it is sent, and any member of the Board can participate fully in CCWG discussions and meetings.

By way of contrast, the community has no access to internal Board emails regarding accountability, no access to General Counsel and Jones Day legal opinions except on a highly selective and delayed basis, and has no ability to even observe much less participate in Board discussions of accountability.

The result of this glaring information asymmetry is a data disconnect that is antithetical to achieving consensus between the CCWG and the Board regarding accountability. The Board sees everything the CCWG is doing in real time, while the CCWG sees nothing of relevant Board activities and information until it chooses to share it.

Imagine if the CCWG had equivalent access to Board discussions and legal documents  before the LA F2F. Perhaps the decision would have been made not to hold the meeting if the CCWG knew that the Board has determined to never support the SMM. Or perhaps CCWG access to Board discussions and Jones Day analysis on a more timely basis would have fostered a constructive dialogue and facilitated preparations that would have permitted the LA meeting to be far more productive, rather than leaving many CCWG members with the feeling they had walked into an ambush.

Let me go even further – not only do I believe that WS1 should require all Board activities encompassing Accountability matters relating to the IANA transition be fully transparent to the community, I would urge the Board to voluntarily begin that practice immediately.

What would be the benefits of such a voluntary Board action?:

·         It would help make up for lost time. It is quite apparent that the fallout from the LA meeting includes adding at least weeks if not months to the CCWG’s process as it strives to determine both the reasons for the Board’s position and what it should do now in reaction to it. CCWG access to Board accountability deliberations in real time  would substantially improve the overall efficiency of the accountability process – restricting information g]flows is highly inefficient.

·         It would demonstrate Board’s commitment to a far higher level of transparency, and its acknowledgement that such transparency is the bedrock foundation of the enhanced accountability that should accompany the transition.

·         It would help restore trust between the CCWG and the Board, which was substantially bruised in LA.

Finally, while I would not advocate open participation in Board accountability discussions to the same extent that Board members can participate in  CCWG activities, I would propose consideration of establishment of a CCWG liaison who can do so, as well as report back to the CCWG on the Board’s thinking and concerns.

CCWG members seem aligned in thinking that greater transparency is an integral part of enhanced accountability, and much of what the CCWG has proposed relates to greater Board accountability. It seems inconceivable that such accountability can be achieved if the Board persists in its presently opaque mode of operation following the transition. The time to shine light on Board operations is coming, and its accountability deliberations is the place to begin.

Let’s be frank. The CCWG and the Board are at an impasse, and if this accountability effort fails it will be seen as a failure of the MSM itself. That is a mortal threat to ICANN’s future and simply unacceptable. Dramatic shifts are required near-term to foster positive progress in Dublin, which is barely two weeks away.

I hope that CCWG and Board members find these suggestions to be constructive, because that is the spirit in which they are offered.

Best to all,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC