[CCWG-ACCT] A way to avoid the 'The Single Member Can Do Anything!' problem

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Oct 2 08:02:08 UTC 2015

Hello Arun,

>>  To bring us back to Jordan's initial suggestion, if the Board were to play some role in the Single Member model - with the form of decision-making and areas of decision making clearly specified -- what would the Board's take be? Would it still oppose the SMCM?

That sounds a bit circular. i.e. the Board is a member of the member that is a member of ICANN.   I guess an individual could be a Board director, and a member of the single member.    Note though that in general if you are a Board director the bylaws don’t allow you to also be a Council member to keep a clear separation of roles.

It is currently possible to be a member of an Advisory Committee and be a Board director.    I used to be a member of SSAC, and also a director on the  board.   However after discussion with Paul Vixie - I came to the conclusion that it was better not to be a member of both to avoid perceptions of conflict of interest.     So for at least a year I ceased being active in SSAC, and elected not to put my name forward for re-appointment to SSAC.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin