[CCWG-ACCT] Documents for Posting for CCWG-ACCT

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Sat Oct 3 10:22:50 UTC 2015

Arun,

This is a well intentioned nonstarter. Take for example derivative rights, that is the right to sue the corporation on behalf of the corporation for gross malfeasance. To include the Board in the decision would be to ask the Board whether it wishes to sue itself on behalf of itself.  If we get to that point we need to find a corporate psychologist. One ideally should not sue oneself. Or document rights. Dear Board, you refused to allow us to inspect documents whose contents would help us in an IRP action we have against you. Would you please join us in ruling against yourself?

For the record, I like the statutory rights. They are the most potent accountability mechanisms available to us, would probably rarely if ever be used but their existence would help ensure compliance with 'lesser' mechanisms and are a normal part of nonprofit corporate governance. The further away we get from tried and true governance principles enshrined in statutory law, full of legal precedence and authority, the riskier the proposal.

Best,

Ed Morris

Sent from my iPhone