[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding Fiduciary responsibility of the Board

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Oct 4 07:43:49 UTC 2015

Bruce:

This is helpful, but, I think, your answer confirms my reservations
regarding the careless use of the fiduciary terminology.

Directors have a fiduciary duty to the Corporation, not to an amorphous
'internet community'.

In fact, under trust law and Equity, one cannot hold something on trust
for such a beneficiary as the "internet community as a whole" since the
object towards which one has the fiduciary duty (that is to say, the
owner of the ultimate property) cannot be identified with sufficient
precision.

This was discussed in the English case of The Queen -v- District Auditor
(on the application of West Yorkshire MCC).

As an English case, this would persuasive precedent in California only
to the extent that there are no California case or statutory provisions,
so I do not submit this as being decisive of the question.

But it's certainly on on point, and remains influential precedent
throughout those countries whose legal systems have have equitable
jurisdictions (such as the USA, Canada, UK, and former British colonies)
and include trusts and fiduciaries.

The differences between a fiduciary duty and an ordinary duty of care
are reasonably well understood. Indeed, my home jurisdiction, as it is a
global financial centre has chosen to regulate, at a fairly detailed
level, the activities of professional fiduciaries.

As a former Board member of a similar (national) organisation to ICANN,
of course, I understand the need for, and the nature of the training you
refer to.  But I sumbit the nature of the Directors' duty you refer to,
is towards the corporation, in the pursuit of the goals set out in the
Articles, and NOT towards the internet community, as such a duty would
be regarded as legally unworkable.

Thus a director should act in the best interest of the corporation. If a
director proposed the corporation become a promoter of the next Kylie
Minogue tour, or a producer of a Hollywood movie, he or she would be
acting ultra vires their fiduciary duty -- as this is not in accordance
with Arts. 3 or 4.

But hiring Ms Minogue to perform at the next ICANN Gala in London or New
York in pursuit of the corporations normal goals, might not be ultra
vires, depending on a number of factors specific to the occasion,
including price, and whether it advanced the goals in Arts 3/4.

Nigel

PS: An ICANN Director's fiduciary duty to the corporation should not
override the reason he or she was seated by an SO or AC -- which is, IN
THE PURSUIT of the corporation's public benefit role, to provide the
perspective of the section of the community that seated them.

So while a Director has a fiduciary duty to the corporation this does
not extend to a prohibition on representing the views of their
particular section of the community, and voting accordingly, so long as
they do not so capriciously or ultra vires the Articles.