[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Continued Counsel Dialogue

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Oct 4 08:28:10 UTC 2015

Hello Rudolph,

>>  Who does the NTIA hold fiduciary duty to? ICANN? Or to Congress?

I think ultimately to USA citizens as represented by their elected political leaders.

Now the USA Government has been a strong supporter of the global benefits of the Internet – but its fiduciary duty is to its citizens.   I think there is alignment in that having access to a single Internet globally probably is of benefit to USA citizens – both economically and socially.

The challenge for the NTIA to get the transition through congress will be to show that it is of benefit to USA citizens for the NTIA to step back from its stewardship of IANA.   I don’t think that will be an easy task.

Regards,

Bruce Tonkin