[CCWG-ACCT] Personal thoughts on sole member

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Sun Oct 4 20:04:35 UTC 2015

Thank you to Bruce for sharing your thoughts candidly and openly once
again, and to Tijani for this excellent reply.

I want to +1 Tijani's comments.

Bruce, we came at this from a 'how do we avoid fracturing the community,
and make sure that decisions in exercising the membership powers are done
responsibly and by some measure of cross-community consensus?'

That is why we evolved from SO/AC membership to the community exercising
membership powers together through one "entity" (really, a decision-counter
- by votes or by consensus doesn't matter).

The SOs and ACs will be and do participate in ICANN as themselves, if we
correctly recognise that those 'selves' are just forums for ICANN's
**actual** stakeholders to involve themselves in the policy process ICANN
exists to serve.

They would participate in the accountability powers in the same way.

Your alternative route summons up all the things the CCWG's first proposal
was rightly criticised for - the need for legal personality for each SO and
AC; the fact this would require a complete rewrite of each of their rules
in the bylaws to allow for that and for relevant decision making, and so on.

My personal preference remains the SMM for the reason that it deals with
this set of problems in a way that supports and upholds the
multistakeholder model.  I've tried to get my head around the Board's
contention that it would undermine that model, but I simply can't grasp the
core concern, other than it's founded on a different vision of what the SOs
and ACs are and their role as routes in / bridges to the global
multistakeholder community.

If they aren't such bridges, then the model is broken either way.

If they are, then they are the right groupings to be exercising the narrow
and constrained set of accountability powers the CCWG has been concerning
itself with.

best
Jordan

On 5 October 2015 at 00:50, Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa at planet.tn>
wrote:

> Bruce,
>

> You say you prefer a full membership model where each SO and AC becomes a
> member rather than a sole membership model because it concentrates all the
> powers in the hands of a single entity.
>

> I don’t think it is the best way to avoid capture: In case we have each SO
> and AC becoming a member, all those members will have the full statutory
> rights and can at anytime exercise them including before the Californian
> courts. The SOs or ACs that have a big interest (financial, political,
> etc.) may use their member right to force the board to act for their own
> narrow interest.
>

> In the sole membership model, no power is allowed to a single SO or AC;
> they can’t act separately. Any power exercise would be the result of the
> community consensus (any form of consensus including voting). So no capture
> is possible.
>

> The only risk would be if all the community is not represented in the sole
> member decision making, but this is the same risk for the full membership
> model where you would have only some SO/AC becoming members of ICANN.
>

> I don’t say that the sole membership model is the best, but if I compare
> it to the full membership model, I would prefer it.

> *Tijani BEN JEMAA*
>
> Executive Director
>
> Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations (*FMAI*)
>
> Phone:  + 216 41 649 605
>
> Mobile: + 216 98 330 114
>
> Fax:       + 216 70 853 376

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *