[CCWG-ACCT] Message from ICANN Board re Designator Model

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Oct 6 05:54:22 UTC 2015

On 06/10/15 04:05, Chris Disspain wrote:

>  . . . . . . . . . . . And I do not agree that
> "we must do it now because it's our only chance".

Chris, thank you for being the voice of reason, with that observation.

Having personally seen the multistakeholder process subverted before, in
1998/9, I am not mindful that it should be permitted a second, or even
third time. Yes, I'm going to keep repeating myself.

The Board has made a great mistake, in my view.

Perceiving or seeing defects (whether real or imagined) in the WG's
output, it has not contented itself with providing input (input that
would have been seriously taken into account by the CCWG), it has like a
cowboy hero in a bad Western, attempted to seize the reins of the
stagecoach while the driver was yet not dead, and the driver is not
liking it.

The Board should realise that IF it cannot accept the WG output (and
this is an entirely legitmate position) it should simply declare "no
agreement yet" and own the consequences.

As others have said, I feel the Boards actions have done much to derail
the multistakeholder approach, recently.