[CCWG-ACCT] Message from ICANN Board re Designator Model

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Tue Oct 6 07:21:12 UTC 2015

 From: "Robin Gross" <robin at ipjustice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:54 AM
To: "Jordan Carter" <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
Cc: "Steve Crocker" <steve.crocker at icann.org>, "Accountability Cross
Community" <accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Message from ICANN Board re Designator Model
 I'm in complete agreement with Jordan on this and share the shock and
disappointment in this board response to the work of the multi-stakeholder
process to hold the board accountable.  This is a pivotal moment in which
the community can capitulate to the continued abuse of the power we see
from ICANN's board, or we can actually stand up and do something about it.
I suppose it is the natural reaction of any entity that holds total power
and risks losing some of that power to behave in such a way, but it does
show that ICANN has not matured sufficiently to be cut lose from oversight
any time soon.  Truly saddening.

 I'm trying to hold out hope, but sadly and reluctantly I'm coming to this
point of view as well. From the 88 questions dumped on the CCWG the night
before the Paris meeting to the current red lines, the Board has shown a
lack of understanding and respect for a multi-stakeholder model based upon
respect and equality. I would be reluctant to turn lose, with no oversight
by any public body,  as the global n and n authority, a private body so
dominated  by a group as limited in number and as  unrepresentative as the
ICANN Board. As to the later I would ask only that those concerned about
the representativeness of the SOAC's to take a look at the body most
critical of them: the lack of gender equality, in particular, is very
striking. Sad.