[CCWG-ACCT] Timeline scenarios - initial draft for comments

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Tue Oct 6 15:34:21 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 13:58, Mathieu Weill wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> The co-chairs had tasked staff to highlight what would be a plausible
> timeline scenario after our group agrees on a proposed way forward in
> Dublin.
> We investigated a scenario where we would not need a public comment, as
> a well as a scenario where an extra pûblic comment would be needed.
>
> The attached slides present an initial draft which we submit for
> comments from the group.
>
> In summary, in the absence of an extra PC period, we could deliver the
> final report on Nov 20 to the chartering organisations at the earliest.
> If we need an extra public comment, delivery would be around end of
> january - beginning of february 2016.

Seven days to redraft the report, and seven days to review it.

That means only seven days in Working Parties really thrashing the
detailed wording. Whoever has their hand on the pen will likely need at
least half that time to come up with their first draft (perhaps more,
depending on their personal schedule). So we're really only talking
about two or three days for detailed discussion of alternative phrasing
for specific clauses.

Is that really enough?

Maybe enough to get something on paper. But hardly enough time to polish
the language, to make it legible and accessible, and to make sure our
explanations properly consider what the uninitiated reader might wonder.
We'd also be taking big risks with unforeseen omissions and errata (as
with our previous drafts).

I think it's this kind of time pressure that has gotten us much of the
criticism we've had already. I know this is not welcome advice, but
Aesop's fable of the hare and tortoise springs to mind.

Or how does Public Comment Period 4 grab you?

I propose that we give an extra two weeks for WPs to work on the text.

So replace this section
"3-10 November: Drafting of report language
10 November: Report sections sent to CCWG for review & CCWG call for
rapporteurs to walk through edits"

with

"3-10 November: Drafting of report language
10 November: Deadline for delivery of draft language to WPs by rapporteurs
10-24 November: Review of draft language by WPs
24 November: Report sections sent to CCWG for review & CCWG call for
rapporteurs to walk through edits"

with the lengths of the rest unchanged, resulting in a close of public
comments on 14th Jan.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929