[CCWG-ACCT] Community not sufficiently representative???

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at valideus.com
Tue Oct 6 21:41:49 UTC 2015

All,

I do not post too often on this list, but have been trying to follow along
in the discussion. The recent comments by the ICANN Board about the lack of
representativeness of the current SO/AC structure to justify the single
member model have rubbed me the wrong way and I think I have figured out
why.

All contracted parties agree to follow Consensus Policies, which are defined
as those policies developed in accordance with the ICANN Bylaws.  According
to the Agreements, "Consensus Policies and the procedures by which they are
developed shall be designed to produce, to the extent possible, a consensus
of Internet stakeholders, including the operators of gTLDs."  See Exhibit A
of new TLD Agreements.

If the ICANN Board is basically saying that the community is not
sufficiently representative for purposes of holding ICANN accountable, then
how can they ever argue that the community is sufficiently representative to
produce a consensus of Internet stakeholders for the purpose of developing
Consensus Policies.  I have never heard the Board before make that
argument...that it could not take a proposed policy and impose it on the
contracted parties because they did not believe the community was
sufficiently representative.

The fact is we DO have about 10 Consensus Policies for which the Board DID
determine that the policies produced by a sufficiently representative
community.

You shouldn't be able to argue that the community is sufficiently
representative for one purpose (Consensus Policies), but not for the
purposes of holding itself accountable

P.S. For any future Consensus Policy, the Board has opened up a new area of
argument if a contracted party does not want to follow it...namely that the
Consensus Policy was not developed through a sufficiently representative
policy process.

Jeffrey J. Neuman

Senior Vice President |Valideus USA | Com Laude USA

1751 Pinnacle Drive, Suite 600

Mclean, VA 22102, United States

E:  <mailto:jeff.neuman at valideus.com> jeff.neuman at valideus.com or
<mailto:jeff.neuman at comlaude.com> jeff.neuman at comlaude.com