[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for WP4 Meeting | 6 October

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Oct 7 10:59:47 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the WP-4 meeting on 6 October will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/kKBYAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Notes

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

LS -Agenda is to work through the public comments . Documents have been produced by Tatiana Tropina
and Niels ten Oever.

Ellen Blackler (EB) - excellent work on the document. Areas of divergence 2. On 1 clarify what 2 out
of 23 means. Divergence #3 limiting text divergent.

NO - even with this text the commenter felt this left ICANN open to a significant risk.

GS - are only doing specific comments or will we review the entire document?

LS - need comments GS

GS - issues with number breakdowns - BT will fix.

DM - Areas for Refinement - Concern with proposed new wording in item 2. This wording would be very
hard to accept ICANN would PROTECT human rights. Ok to RESPECT and not PROTECT.

Robin Gross [GNSO - NCSG]: According to Article 29, ICANN doesn't respect privacy  rights (EU).

LS - this should probably be included in the document (new point)

GS - we should stick to comments provided.

TT - create additional document for an assessment of the comments. The current document is mostly a
snapshot.

LS - We should prepare 1 document with two chapters, 1 which is a summary and 1 which is an analysis
and participants should complete their contribution to this document in the next 24 hours so it can
be discussed at the next meeting of WP4

LS - other tract which is agreeing on the wording to be added to the Bylaws. The proposed text for
discussion is: Within its mission and in it operations, ICANN will be committed to respect
internationally recognized human rights laws and standards.

DM - Why standards?

NO - not my addition.

Niels ten Oever: The BC believes that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is comprehensive
statement of human rights that is appropriate for ICANN14. The BC does not support having ICANN
selectively  commit to certain human rights while excluding others. Nor does the BC support having
ICANN commit to the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, which was
proposed by some sub-group members15. ICANN is not a business and would be a poor fit with the
limited view of human rights originally developed by the UN for Businesses in the resource
extraction industry.

MK - WSIS wrestled with this which was a very hard topic - the only agreement was UDHR. this would
be sufficient and would probably generate consensus in our context.

TT - no cherry picking so need general language. finally opposed to mentionning UDHR but could live
with it if a minority view.

LS there was an agreement not to mention any specific instruments.

GS - does not agree we should stay away from mentionning existing documents. 5 comments recommended
UDHR.

General discussion on strategy forward

Discussion of poll for WP4

- Should there be a reference to specific document in the Bylaws text (human rights context) - (yes
or no)?

-  If a document is included should it be the UDHR (yes or no)?

- Another Document or documents? (list)

LS - Going forward - complete the document, reply to the Poll, continue the discussion of the
document on the next call as well as the results of the poll.