[CCWG-ACCT] Update from Brussels

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Sat Oct 10 00:52:54 UTC 2015

I'd like to repeat my question. We have to think through the specifics and
work out what we need to worry about, and what isn't a worry.

What say you? Do you think that the ccNSO should be able to run a PDP that
demands, say, ICANN give a lot of money to ccTLD projects, and not have
that subject to question?

I ask because getting specific about cases is the only way to rule things
in or out, and to unlock any possibility of arriving at consensus.

If we as a group of ccTLDs can't come to consensus, then there isn't going
to be an accountability proposal and isn't going to be a transition.

cheers
Jordan

best
Jordan

On 9 October 2015 at 22:52, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi Stephen, all:
>
> I've been very clear, most lately in a blog post today, that these issues
> need to be ironed out to consensus before a proposal goes anywhere.
>
> But that means answering tough questions - and the biggest tough question
> here is whether or not PDP processes needs some quarantine around them.
>
> For instance, I would support a restriction on the bylaws changes veto
> which said:
>
> "Where a bylaws change arises from an SO PDP, has no impact on ICANN
> generally, and the budget impact is less than $x per year, the bylaws veto
> isn't available."
>
> I support that because the intent of the accountability powers is *not* to
> interfere in PDPs. It is to exercise community control over ICANN and its
> overall operations.
>
> A PDP with limited financial impact could be usefully excluded to make
> that clear.
>
> But also, to be clear, aPDP by any SO that demanded a huge call on ICANN
> resources should in principle be able to be vetoed.
>
> In the end, our interest as cctld managers is to prevent ICANN affecting
> us and our operations. That's fair. What isn't fair is creating some
> fantastical right to claim on others' resources.
>
> What say you?
>
> Cheers
> Jordan
>
> On Friday, 9 October 2015, Stephen Deerhake <sdeerhake at nic.as> wrote:
>
>> Jordan,
>>

>> I don't think the GNSO would like to be in a position where the ccNSO
>> could muster additional SO/AC support to kill off a PDP that they worked
>> diligently on and got Board buy in for.
>>

>> I think the ccNSO would not like this either.
>>

>> So to me it's not a "hypothetical" but rather, how does the CCWG proposal
>> manage this, because at the end of the day, we need buy-in from the SO/AC
>> community for the CCWG proposal to go forward, and if there is not an
>> accommodation with respect to SO/Board approved PDPs standing as ICANN
>> policy, not subject to being shot down by other SO/AC members, how do you
>> realistically expect the SOs to provide consensus for the CCWG proposal put
>> forward to the Board, and subsequently, NITA?
>>

>> Just asking…
>>

>> Best Regards,
>>

>> /Stephen

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *