[CCWG-ACCT] Blog post on the Accountability work headed to Dublin

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sat Oct 10 23:02:59 UTC 2015

Hello Paul,

I will try to be clearer on the process for submission to the NTIA:

From: https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/Charter

"Submission Board Report

After receiving the notifications from all chartering organizations as described above, the Co-Chairs of the CCWG-Accountability shall, within 10 working days after receiving the last notification, submit to the Chair of the ICANN Board of Directors and Chairs of all the chartering organizations the CCWG-Accountability Board Report, which shall include at a minimum:

a)     The (Supplemental) Proposal as adopted by the CCWG-Accountability; and

b)     The notifications of the decisions from the chartering organizations

c)     Documentation of the process that was followed, including, but not limited to documenting the process of building consensus within the CCWG-Accountability and public consultations."

The Board will then meet to consider the CCWG-Accountability Board Report, and decide what, if any, comments to submit with the report taking into account (a), (b), and (c) above.

From: https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2015-02-12-en

"When ICANN receives these proposals, we will forward them promptly and without modification to NTIA.  When ICANN receives these proposals, we will forward them promptly and without modification to NTIA.  As we have previously stated, if we do submit the proposals with an accompanying communication of comments, they will be on points we had already shared with the community during the development of the proposals. "

The NTIA has its own decision processes with respect to their stewardship of the IANA function.   I can’t comment on what their process will be.

Separately the Board will need to meet to consider the implementation of recommendations from the CCWG to change the organization and bylaws.   Bylaws changes are made when there is community support and when the Board believes they are in the global public interest.

On 16 October 2014, in Los Angeles, the Board set out its process for considering the changes proposed in the CCWG-Accountability Board Report.

The process was based on similar processes used to accept policy recommendations from the supporting organizations (SOs) that exist in the bylaws today.

See agenda item 2(d):  https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2014-10-16-en#2.d

I hope that is clearer.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin