[CCWG-ACCT] Blog post on the Accountability work headed to Dublin

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Tue Oct 13 08:27:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-13 03:29, Greg Shatan wrote:
> Lurking behind all this (in my mind) is Larry Strickling apparently
> saying that he does not want to receive a proposal that does not have
> the support of the Board.
>
> That would make any proposal sent with a lack of support from the
> Board a non-starter.

I agree, but let's not overread that. We don't have a decision from
the Board yet, we have a negotiating position.

Before Larry get the proposal, it must be transmitted from us to
the chartering organisations, and thence to the Board. The Board will
then have to reconsider its position and take a final decision in
the light of the fact that the proposal is now finalised and has
the formal support of the community.

For the Board to torpedo a community consensus proposal in the way you
describe would be a huge step, with profound consequences for ICANN's
credibility in the political community. The Board won't do that lightly.

The Board might remain intransigent. But they might be willing,
in those circumstances, to endorse a widely-supported proposal that
is broadly aligned with their expectations even if it still contains
a few elements against which they previously expressed concerns. So
in that light, their claims that they are "95% in agreement" with our
proposal is encouraging.

So while I agree with your statement above in the abstract, I would
avoid
drawing from it any inference of a practical necessity to simply accept
what
the Board tells us to do. We are entitled to our own view, and insisting
on
it is not fatal to this process.

--
             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

          Company Registered in England No. 3137929