[CCWG-ACCT] Two blogs about ICANN54

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Tue Oct 13 14:47:56 UTC 2015

Dear all,

In an effort to reduce the number of emails in your inbox, I¹m providing a
2-in-1 email update for you. There are two blogs related to accountability
that have been posted to the ICANN website in the past 48h. I¹ve copied them
below for your convenience.

1. Steve Crocker, Dublin and Transition
(https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dublin-and-transition)
2. Nick Tomasso, Increasing Community Discussions on Enhancing ICANN
Accountability at ICANN54
(https://www.icann.org/news/blog/increasing-community-discussions-on-enhanci
ng-icann-accountability-at-icann54)

1. Dublin and Transition (Steve Crocker)

Original Link: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/dublin-and-transition

I look forward to seeing many of you on the Emerald Isle at ICANN54. I
personally have been reinvigorated witnessing the commitment of the
community, the CCWG-Accountability in particular, as we work towards
completing the last piece of a proposal that will move ICANN to an
independent, improved and even more accountable organization.
We all know the reality of the situation we're facing today, not just the
timelines but also the need to come together on this last piece of the
puzzle. It's not about the Board, nor about any other single stakeholder ­
it's about the whole community coming together. As I've said before, though
I and the other Board members are on the Board now, we are only here for a
while, and then we will leave. In two years one of you will take over my
seat and I will return to my former role in the wider community. We're all
stakeholders ­ that's the beauty of the ICANN multistakeholder model.
Everyone has a voice ­ and as soon as anyone says differently or tries to
exclude people, well, that's not the Internet community I've participated in
and watched evolve over the last 30 plus years, and that's not what ICANN is
about.
It's about wading through a noisy, and at times robust, but good faith
discussion to come together and agree upon a final, balanced approach. Right
now, it happens to be about the CCWG-Accountability analyzing and addressing
the 93 comments from the last round of public comment, listening to all
possible views and opinions from across the community­ including those that
come forward in Dublin‹and developing a final consensus proposal.
We are in the final stretch of this and it's time for everyone, however
involved you've been, to help work towards a consensus.
Dublin will be key as we show the world what our multistakeholder model can
accomplish. I know many on the Board are deeply engaged alongside many of
you in the working parties and will continue participating in community
discussion throughout this process. The CCWG and the broader community both
have a lot of discussions ahead. The Board looks forward to participating as
one stakeholder of many, and I thank you all for your energy and commitment
to this effort. It really is a wonder to behold.
For those of you following the IANA Stewardship Transition and Enhancing
ICANN Accountability processes in Dublin or from your computer at home,
below is a quick reference guide to the latest transition-related meetings.
At the community's request, the ICANN staff identified additional times
forICANN Accountability discussions
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/increasing-community-discussions-on-enhanci
ng-icann-accountability-at-icann54>  with as little disruption as possible
to the current meeting schedule.
Please don't hesitate to join in the discussions no matter where you are in
the world. We are nearly there. It is a historic moment, and truly a
testament to the strength of the multistakeholder model.
DateTimeSeesion TitleRoom
Friday, 16 October08:30-18:30CCWG-Accountability Face-to-Face MeetingLiffey
H2
Saturday, 17 October08:30-12:00CCWG-Accountability Sub-team BreakoutsLiffey
H2
Saturday, 17 October13:00-17:00ICG Face-to-Face MeetingLiffey B
Sunday, 18 October09:00-12:00ICG Face-to-Face MeetingLiffey B
Sunday, 18 October16:45-18:15Transition Perspectives: From Internet Pioneer
and the U.S. CongressAuditorium
Monday, 19 October10:15-11:45CCWG-Accountability Engagement
SessionAuditorium
Monday, 19 October12:00-13:00ICG Engagement SessionAuditorium
Monday, 19 October14:00-18:30Discussion on Enhancing ICANN
AccountabilityAuditorium
Wednesday, 21 October09:30-11:00CWG-Stewardship Working SessionWicklow H2
Wednesday, 21 October15:30-16:30IANA Stewardship Transition
ImplementationWicklow H2
Wednesday, 21 October17:00-20:00Discussion on Enhancing ICANN
AccountabilityAuditorium
Thursday, 22 October08:00-10:30CCWG-Accountability Working SessionLiffey H2
Thursday, 22 October10:30-12:30ICG Working SessionLiffey B
Friday, 23 October09:00-17:00ICG Working SessionLiffey B

2. Increasing Community Discussions on Enhancing ICANN Accountability at
ICANN54 (Nick Tomasso)

Original link:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/increasing-community-discussions-on-enhancin
g-icann-accountability-at-icann54

As participants from around the world are preparing themselves for ICANN's
54th Public Meeting, theICANN Meetings Team has been hard at work to
finalize the meeting schedule. Last week during an SO-AC-SG-C-RALO
Leadership Call, ICANN staff was asked to provide options for community
consideration to increase time in Dublin for discussions around the
Enhancing ICANN Accountability process. Given the important circumstances
and timely nature of the request, we identified timeslots for EnhancingICANN
Accountability discussions where we could insert new sessions with as little
disruption as possible to the current meeting schedule.
After a few days of brainstorming, our team was able to provide the
community with three options for increasing CCWG-Accountability discussion
time in Dublin. These options varied from little change/minimal disruption
to significant change/significant disruption to the ICANN54 schedule. After
discussions amongst the broader community on these three options, the
SO-AC-SG-C-RALO Leadership Team reached consensus this morning on a
middle-ground option, which would increase EnhancingICANN Accountability
discussions without significant disruption to the current meeting structure.
Finalization of agendas and details of these new sessions are forthcoming;
the CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs will provide these details tomorrow,
Tuesday, 13 October.
> Friday, 16 October
> Removal of the SO-AC-SG-RALO Community Roundtable
> This will provide SO-AC-SG-RALO Community Leaders the opportunity to join the
> CCWG-Accountability Working Session from 15:30-18:30.
> Monday, 19 October
> Addition of a full-afternoon, community-wide session to discuss Enhancing
> ICANN Accountability from 14:00-18:30 in the Auditorium.
> This timeslot will allow for the broadest possible participation pending final
> agenda from the CCWG-Accountability. Given the Auditorium configuration, the
> session will include 2-4 standing microphones rather than desk microphones for
> participants.
> Tuesday, 20 October
> Addition of the Joint Meeting of the ICANN Board & SSAC to the end of the day
> from 18:00-19:00 in the Auditorium.
> This would be moved from Wednesday to allow more time for an Enhancing ICANN
> Accountability Session. Additionally, the ICANN Board Cocktail Reception with
> the GAC will now run from 19:15-20:15.
> Wednesday, 21 October
> Addition of a second community-wide discussion on Enhancing ICANN
> Accountability session from 17:00-20:00 in the Auditorium.
> This timeslot will allow for the broadest possible participation pending final
> agenda from the CCWG-Accountability. Given the Auditorium configuration, the
> session will include 2-4 standing microphones rather than desk microphones for
> participants.
To see the entire ICANN54 meeting schedule please see here
<https://meetings.icann.org/en/dublin54/schedule-full> .
We look forward to continuing to support the community in any way possible.
Please note that with sessions starting in the next few days, any further
changes to the schedule, with the exception of session cancellations, will
not be feasible. We appreciate the flexibility of those of you who will be
affected by these changes.
Thank you all and see you in Dublin!