[CCWG-ACCT] Need for clarity on enforcement mechanisms for Dublin

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrlaw.com
Tue Oct 13 18:17:03 UTC 2015

Sorry I previously replied to the wrong chain with this comment so am reposting:

Regarding the question below about delegating a Community rejection of a budget to binding arbitration, I also note an excerpt from one of the recent Sidley memos which opines that in the absence of a statutory right (e.g. that conferred by a CA membership corporation which relieves the directors of fiduciary duties with respect to powers reserved to the members), DIRECTORS MAY NOT DELEGATE DECISIONS REQUIRING EXERCISE OF THEIR CORE FIDUCIARY DUTIES TO AN ARBITRATION PANEL.  HERE IS THE EXCERPT FROM THE LEGAL MEMO MATHIEU DISTRIBUTED EARLIER TODAY AND IS ATTACHED AGAIN – see page A-2

A board may not submit exercise of “core” fiduciary duties to arbitration.
As noted above, California law requires “[e]ach corporation [to] have a board of
directors” that exercises the powers of the corporation and each director acts as a fiduciary of the
corporation. Cal. Corp. Code § 5210. “The board may delegate the management of the activities
of the corporation to any person or persons, management company, or committee however
composed, provided that the activities and affairs of the corporation shall be managed and all
corporate powers shall be exercised under the ultimate direction of the board.” Id. (emphasis
added). The California courts have not determined the precise limits of the italicized text, but
with respect to for-profit corporations, the California Supreme Court has held in Wells Fargo
Bank v. Superior Court, 811 P.2d 1025, 1033 (Cal. 1991) (en banc), that “a board of directors
has no power to delegate the performance of its basic powers and functions, particularly its
statutory prerogatives, in the absence of express statutory authority.”

So it would be good to know if Jones Days believes the Board can submit authority over the budget and authority over the strategic and operating plans (as required by the CWG-Stewardship) to binding arbitration as is suggested by the MEM proposal and by Fadi’s chart.

PLEASE NOTE I PERSONALLY BELIEVE IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT AN ARBITRATION ORDER FOUNDED ON A PROCESS THAT VIOLATES STATUTORY LAW PROHIBITING DELEGATION OF FIDUCIARY DUTY WOULD BE ENFORCEABLE IN COURT.  (This is not a legal opinion.)

Anne

[cid:image001.gif at 01D105A8.AD599970]

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP

One South Church Avenue Suite 700 | Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611

(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725

AAikman at lrrlaw.com<mailto:AAikman at lrrlaw.com> | www.LRRLaw.com<http://www.lrrlaw.com/>