[CCWG-ACCT] A contractual solution for the "membership"/accountability problem

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Tue Oct 13 21:34:40 UTC 2015

> On 13 Oct 2015, at 21:36, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> With the usual "I am not a lawyer disclosure", my understanding is that the Bylaws are effectively a contract.

I think you are mistaken.

Even if you just mean that in some way the Bylaws are just like a contract, the essence of a contract is to be a binding promise between parties. Who would the parties to the Bylaws be? ICANN, on the one hand, for sure.  And ICANN's counterparty would be, er, um...?

Malcolm.