[CCWG-ACCT] A contractual solution for the "membership"/accountability problem

Tue Oct 13 22:41:32 UTC 2015

P.S. to Alan:  my understanding is that the member model is the only way to relieve the Board of fiduciary responsibility as to retained community powers.

 Now it appears that under the CA statute, the proposal for binding arbitration as to issues proposed for community enforceability would violate that fiduciary duty.  In other words, in the current corporate structure, the Board cannot properly  delegate any of the decisions listed in the community powers in Items 1-6 in the Plan B chart from this morning's call to an arbitration panel (except maybe removal of directors for cause?.)  Perhaps this was abundantly clear to everyone else but me?  Steve and Jonathan?

This makes me wonder whether the Board's MEM proposal was reviewed for compliance with  CA law by Jones Day.  I don't recall the Board stating the MEM proposal and the binding arbitration mechanism would not apply to budget and strategic plan  but maybe they already said that.   So again, how does that fit with the Final Report of the CWG-Stewardship?

Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese
Of Counsel
Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP |
One South Church Avenue Suite 700
Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611
(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725
AAikman at lrrlaw.com | www.LRRLaw.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Greenberg [mailto:alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:18 PM
To: Aikman-Scalese, Anne; David Post; Accountability Cross Community
Subject: RE: [CCWG-ACCT] A contractual solution for the "membership"/accountability problem

Yes I read it. It does say that the line is unclear, but that certain responsibilities cannot be delegated including budget and strategic.
Plan. Our lawyers have been clear for a long time that budget and plan veto are problematic in a non-member situation. And that matches the Board's position that to give this up impacts their fiduciary duty (and I agree).

The ALAC has said it would reluctantly accept the member model, but it is not our preference, and that implies we are willing to forego the budget/plan veto.

Alan