[CCWG-ACCT] NRO Statement on IANA Stewardship Transition and ICANN Accountability

Ron Baione ron.baione at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 17:24:54 UTC 2015

"We therefore urge the global multistakeholder community to continue the work to converge on a mutually acceptable accountability reform proposal, which needs to achieve only the following:

– Satisfying immediate concerns over ICANN accountability
– Allowing the IANA transition to take place within the expected timeframe
– Ensuring that ICANN evolution can and will continue in future.

Finally we recognize the ongoing efforts by the CCWG and the ICANN Board to arrive to a successful conclusion of the work which is necessary for the IANA transition to occur. It is important that all of these efforts be fully respectful of the work of the community and that any discrepancies be dealt with in a true and amicable multistakeholder fashion."

I read this as they are asking for ICANN to continue to work "to converge" on a proposal, but it never asks for ICANN "to complete" the proposal, while asking that such an imaginary proposal must meet certain criteria which are ultimately unneccessary as long as the community is always "converging" on a proposal but never actually agreeing on or submitting one.  And the "forever convergence" (delay) must be amicable.  If we are going to spend time delaying, not completing the proposals, nor developing new ideas, at least can we be nice about it, folks?