[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Chairman Thune and Senator Schatz letter to Steve Crocker ahead of ICANN 54

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Fri Oct 16 06:49:45 UTC 2015

Varying legal requirements aside, the legitimacy of any corporate body
surely derives from membership. The Board (or Council or however it is
named) is the executive instantiation of the larger corporate membership.

ICANN made a mis-step in 1998 in not having members at the outset and we
are paying the price.

And lest we forget, ICANN isn't quite a FIFA, and the purpose of the
Accountbility WG is to ensure the entrenchment of constitutional
safeguards that prevent it ever becoming one.