[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Chairman Thune and Senator Schatz letter to Steve Crocker ahead of ICANN 54

william currie willie.currie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 08:36:03 UTC 2015

I wish to state that I will be writing to the Senators Thune and Schatz
with my assessment of the final CCWG-Accountability proposal on Enhancing
ICANN's Accountability and I encourage all participant observers in the
process to do likewise. I will use a basic accountability test derived from
the Oxford Handbook of Public Accountability to do so.

The essential issue regarding accountability is the question: who is
accountable to whom, for what, by which standards and why?

The accountability test of the CCWG-A final proposal will consist of the
following questions:

1 Is there an accountable actor, clearly identified?

2. Is the accountable actor accountable to an accountability forum, clearly
defined?

3 Is it clear for what issues the accountable actor is being held to
account by the accountability forum?

4 Is it clear by what standards the accountable actor is being held to
account?

5 Are there clear reasons as to why the accountable actor is being held to
account in the manner specified in the proposal?

Willie Currie
An Advisor to the CCWG-Accountability