[CCWG-ACCT] Alleged racism against silicon based life forms

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.NA
Fri Oct 16 09:40:48 UTC 2015

Dear Co-Chairs,

In terms of Roelof Meijer's request for meaningful subject lines:

It appears from the below post of the troll posting from the
email account ron.baione at yahoo.com that we we must stop all CCWG
related work, IMMEDIATELY, to allow the Ombudsman to determine
whether the troll is indeed a silicon based life form.

Even though he alleges to have been labelled a "silicone based life
form", which he was not.

If the troll were to be found a silicon based life form he would
have a point as the ICANN rules of behavior state

	Those who take part in ICANN multi-stakeholder process,
	including Board, staff and all those involved in Supporting
	Organization and Advisory Committee councils, undertake to:

	[...]
	Treat all members of the ICANN community EQUALLY,
	irrespective of nationality, gender, racial or ethnic
	origin, religion or beliefs, disability, age, or sexual
	orientation;

	members of the ICANN community SHOULD treat each other with
	civility both face to face and online.
	[...]

If the investigation turned out that the below troll indeed is a
silicon based life form I am sure Mr Roberts will be most willing to
be called to the Ombudsman's Office for a spanking.  As will I, even
though anyone familiar with my background knows I am not the Captain
of Team Caucasian.

The Ombudsman is around, he has a Commonwealth education, so I am
sure he is familiar with the paddle.

As for the second part of the rule, and even though civility is
defined as

	formal politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech

with emphasis of FORMAL, hence, just directing any remarks through
the (Co-)Chair(s) complies with that already, referring to a troll
as a troll most definitively is not impolite:

	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

In particular if the troll referred to as a troll is a troll,
whether carbon or silicon based.

greetings, el

On 2015-10-16 09:46 , Roelof Meijer wrote:
> Dear mr. Baloney,
>
> I, probably like quite a few others on this list, fail to see the
> link between your message below and the subject of this thread
> (“Meeting location”).
> During our last CCWG call, I commented on the number of emails we
> all have to deal with and the fact that practically in every mail
> thread of this group, there’s growing divergence between the
> title of the thread and the content of submissions of some as the
> discussion proceeds.  A factor that makes it very difficult for
> the reader to just read those emails that are worth the time.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if you would stick to the good
> practice of ensuring that the content of your message is aligned
> with subject specified in the header.
>
> Best,
>
> Roelof Meijer
>
> From: <accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org on behalf of
> Ron Baione <ron.baione at yahoo.com>
> Date: vrijdag 16 oktober 2015 01:45
[...]
> It's not a policy on polite discourse if it is not enforced,
> especially when someone can be directly, publicly insulted without
> any fear of the Ombusdmans ability to enforce that policy.  It is
> clear that after being publicly referred to impolitely and
> unfairly objectified as a "troll", an "it", "a silicone based
> lifeform", labeled as "hostile", and told to "give it a rest"
> simply for trying to participate and share new ideas, there is no
> actual ability for the Ombudsman to enforce the policy being
> referred to.
>
> The very fact that the Ombusdman already sent a note previously
> asking members of this list to follow the policy on polite
> discourse, prior to my being assigned as a participant to
> CCWG-Accountability, shows me that there has long needed to be
> some sort of special review of the comments made by members of
> this mailing list to see if there is a atmosphere of disrespect
> that for some reason has evolved over a lengthy period of time.
> After such a review of the distractions, the real work of
> completing the ICANN transition process will be more successful in
> my opinion.  Can the Ombudsman comment on this proposal and/or
> perform such a review?
>
> Ron
[...]