[CCWG-ACCT] Individual Removal process concerns (was: Re: Breakout sessions - Pictures of outcome)

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 11:44:03 UTC 2015

Dear Co-Chairs,

I just like to raise here that the reviewed process for individual board
removal does not reflects the fact that we all recognize that once a board
member is appointed to the board, he/she represents/acts in the interest of
the entire community(and of the organisation).

It is just not ideal for appointing board member to remove its board member
in a setup like ICANN, since we recognize that they are representing the
entire community but just bringing their respective SO/AC experience to the
board. Its also not proper considering that there are board members that
are not directly appointed by individual SO/AC(nomcom appointees) which
will imply different removal process for members within the same board.

That said, it is my hope that the community is recognizing that we are
setting loose processes that does not keep the community itself
accountable; we set air-tight processes and requirements to keep the board
accountable yet we try to set rules that are less inclusive for ourselves.

Overall it seem its only what we think is right that is acceptable and not
necessarily what the law says, because its definitely not a legal
requirement that appointing members only should have the removal rights.
Hopefully we will not all dwell so much on legal norms(on edge cases) as we
set processes for board's accountability.

Regards