[CCWG-ACCT] Fadi on our work

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Sat Oct 17 15:52:24 UTC 2015

> >>FADI CHEHADE:  THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME AND ALL OF US TO COME AND TAKE SOME TIME WITH YOU.  I WANT TO LEAVE YOU WITH THREE SUBSTANTIVE POINTS.
>
> THE FIRST ONE, WHATEVER WE DO, MAKE YOUR KEY PRINCIPLE THE AVOIDANCE OF CAPTURE.  IT IS CRITICAL.  IT IS HOW WE HOLD TO THE MULTISTAKEHOLDER MODEL.  IF WE ARE CAPTURED OR IF WE CREATE A MODEL THAT ALLOWS FOR CAPTURE BY SPECIAL INTERESTS OR SPECIAL AGENDAS, IN MY OPINION, THE ICANN WE WERE ALL HANDED WOULD HAVE BEEN RUINED.

This principle is what made ICANN of what it's today, so advocating for it is actually advocating for the continuation of its current form, if that's what the community wants.

Although the current model was successful in avoiding capture from the different parts of the community, it hasn't prevented the capture from the corporation itself and from the corporation becoming more interested in its own survival than on serving its mission. But besides this particular special interest, which is neutral in nature, I agree that it prevented capture from the stakeholder sectors, which is indeed remarkable.

> TWO, WATCH CAREFULLY FOR ACCOUNTABILITY MEASURES THAT REFOCUS AND ANCHOR ICANN IN THE CALIFORNIA COURTS AS OPPOSED TO CONTINUING THE PROJECT OF GLOBALIZATION WE ALL STARTED.  WATCH FOR THAT.
> IF ALL ROADS END THERE, THAT'S ONE THING.  BUT IF ALL ROADS START AT THE COURTS, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.  SO THIS IS THE DISTINCTION.

Agree with this precaution, but it's curious that the board proposal actually increases that dependency.

Rubens