[CCWG-ACCT] Fadi on our work

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Sun Oct 18 02:42:15 UTC 2015

I don't share the "he's wreaking our multi-stakeholder-ism" that has
shown up in several excited posts to the list. Fadi's an employee with
some insight, and post-mortem reports are generally useful. As I recall
he incautiously said he'd fix the whois mess the first time he spoke on
the record as the Corporation's CEO/President. I expect normal failings,
and my expectations are, in this instance, met.

(1) Is "agency capture" a mere hypothetical? I'd the impression that
VGRS was generally successful in its post-98 efforts to write the rules
it is obliged to follow, and their market share is ... not greatly
changed. Staff did a very nice analysis of Constituency votes at the
Paris meeting, capture is not a distant hypothetical.

(2) If not California and its courts, then where? What could "the
project of globalization we all started" mean if it is the alternative
to some jurisdiction, say, the state the Corporation is domiciled in?
When we started IDN (courtesy of VGRS's march stealing "testbed"), when
we held meetings in just about every corner of the globe (yes, I know,
globes don't actually have corners), when we ... at what point did this
become leaving the legal certainty (and comfort) of Hotel California?

(3) Why on earth is allowing the existing IANA Functions Contract to
expire fatally fused with exiting California and fatally fused with
spilling all or some of the Corporation Board and ...

Getting to a form of governance that works better than what we've
managed since '98 seems like a worth while goal. Trying to do that by
blindly jumping over not one, but three or more high hurdles,
simultaneously, is not likely to achieve that end.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon