[CCWG-ACCT] Rationale for Stress Test 18

Perez Galindo, Rafael RPEREZGA at minetur.es
Sun Oct 18 09:03:31 UTC 2015

Dear Paul

Respectfully, I do not feel you are stating facts as many of us in the GAC and other stakeholder groups see them, and as the Bylaws lay down.

I want to remind you that when this ST 18 was first proposed, a year ago as you say, we were told it was meant to avoid "capture" of the Board by governments. We have been discussing about this in the working groups and trying to understand how an advisory body could capture a decision-making body by means of advice.

The fact is that you and others always forget to mention in your arguments that the Board can turn down GAC advice by simple majority of its members. This is key! (Article XI-2-1-k of the Bylaws).

Being true that the Board is obliged to enter into an engagement process with the GAC to try to find a mutually agreeable solution, never forget that if after this step there is no agreed solution, the Board can just reject GAC advice and move forward with their own decisión, by only providing a rationale to do so, and by simple majority of its members.

So, the engagement process is not a negotiation, and it does not oblige the Board to move its position by a millimeter at all. Where is the accountability issue?

In addition to this facts, only a couple of weeks ago, things have sort of changed, and we have been told that this not about capture anymore (Steve del Bianco), but still a requisite for the Transition that the NTIA has set. In this regard, I kindly ask you to explain how ST 18 relates to the 5 requirements set out in March 2014 by the NTIA, because I confess myself incapable of finding the match, once the "capture" rationale has dissapeared out of lack of substance.

On the other hand, and talking about capture, let me re-state that we should avoid capture by any stakeholder. One could say that as 2/3 of the Board is required to reject a supermajority-approved PDP, the GNSO has actually much more power than the GAC.

And let me end by re-iterating what I said in Paris. We are for consensus as the best means for the GAC to give advice to the Board. And we are absolutely against an expansion of governments role. But we are as well against having a hair cut because some would like to take advantage of the opportunity the Transition gives.

Looking forward to finding a mutually agreeable solution,

Rafael

GAC_SPAIN