[CCWG-ACCT] ALAC Statement on proposed accountability models

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Oct 18 16:38:29 UTC 2015

On Sunday 18 October 2015 09:23 PM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Guru Acharya <gurcharya at gmail.com
> <mailto:gurcharya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      In the CWG-Stewardship, he similarly fear mongered that the
>     transition will fail because NTIA would reject the Contract Co
>     model. That time too everybody else blinked.
>

> Interesting you think the proposal that came out of CWG-Stewardship
> was as a result of formal intervention from Alan (ALAC), well if thats
> is at all valid, I guess maybe ALAC deserves accolades then. ;-). We
> may want to face reality or just continue in fantasy

Yes, efforts at disruption of power concentrations are best derided as
'fantasies' by those who want to hold on to power. But then people have
a nasty democratic way of getting what is legitimately theirs (democracy
was long just a popular fantasy for autocrats)...  The problem here is
that the group within the ICANN system that is supposed to represent the
'peripheries' seem even more eager than many other groups to reinforce
the status quo. That alone is the irony, although only a minor one give
the well-known manner in which the 'fantasy' of representation of ICANN
outsiders is structured within the ICANN system.

My problem at this stage is no longer much about the substance of the
matter, we know that the status quo of power in the system will be
preserved at any cost, and any democratisation  would have to be got by
other means. My problem is entirely about the process: the torturous
manner in which decisions made dictatorially, to cater to narrow
interests, are being sought to be retrofitted with a 'bottom up
participatory process' that then is also sold as the model for all kinds
of governance. ALAC as the supposed rep of the 'peripheries' has a key
role in this tragi-comedy, which is being played out right now... This
joke and bluff should be called, if anyone can. I hope there is someone
in Dublin who will do it - bell the cat, I mean, getting past the
enormous gates that ICANN carefully erects against such intrusions (and
still gets away calling it an open process).

parminder