[CCWG-ACCT] NRO EC Statement in today's CCWG Engagement Session

Athina Fragkouli athina.fragkouli at ripe.net
Mon Oct 19 16:51:02 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Please find below the NRO EC statement of this morning's engagement session.

Thank you,
Athina

=========

Dear Colleagues,

We can see the intense and productive work that is being done on
accountability.  It seems to be moving positively, but slowly, towards
some critical shared goals.

We agree that community empowerment is one of these goals; the ICANN
community deserves to be sufficiently empowered to ensure ICANN’s
accountability.

However this work only has meaning in the context of the IANA
Stewardship Transition: that is the goal that has brought this process
about; and the wider Internet community also deserves to see this work
finally completed.

We urge community members to only seek sufficient power to achieve this,
and to seek a compromise towards any of the various ways to do so. There
is not only one “correct” solution here.

If we do not bring this process to a conclusion, soon, inevitably other
options will be explored. But those, I'm sure, will not be better options.

As signatories ot the Montevideo Statement of 2013, which called for
“accelerating the globalisation of ICANN and IANA functions", we urge
the community to take this opportunity; to come to a conclusion on
accountability soon enough to allow the transition process to proceed.

Thank you.