[CCWG-ACCT] On Stress Test 18

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Oct 27 18:56:32 UTC 2015

"That said, I in particular am not a fan of how this particular stress test has been given unnecessary hype when by the time you look at carefully, you find that the test itself is at best political and does not have any major practical implication on current status quo in that an advice remain as such no matter how much attention it receives from ICANN board. The board still stand to refuse/accept as it's done in the past."

With all respect, Stress Test 18 has a "major practical implication" in that lowering the threshold for establishing 'consensus ', much less GAC adoption of a simple majority vote for providing advice, would almost surely result in such advice being given much more frequently to the Board, and would also make the Board the focus point for pressure from contending geopolitical forces. None of this would be beneficial for ICANN.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050