[CCWG-ACCT] Contribution on Transparency Reforms for CCWG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:51:37 UTC 2015

Brett,

The issue of "final authority" in the comparison of member and designator
is not monolithic and in many cases not far different under either model.

I think significant changes to DIDP policy and to lobbying disclosure
policy, each with numerous subparts with new concepts, and a reach that may
go well beyond the stated subject matter (e.g., contacts with all
government officials starts to look like law enforcement contact
disclosure, which should be a topic unto itself), amounts to a trainload,
or at least several boxcars.

I have concerns with process, timing and substance.  Frankly, my concerns
on substance are probably the most limited (though not insignificant within
those limitations).  I am more concerned about getting this done, and
burying the limited but necessary need for 6333-type disclosure (and
perhaps other statutory disclosure, as Rosemary pointed out) in a big
multipart package.

I think there is quite a bit of heavy lifting here, and a few radical
points.  We should give this the breathing room it deserves and save the
negotiation and discussion of this for WS2.  Or let's just blow up all of
WS2 and bring it in to WS1. We should not be too greedy in WS1 -- "Pigs get
fat, but hogs get slaughtered."

BTW, I never said I was opposed to it because it was "new."  I'm not some
sort of accountability Luddite.  But it is a significant chunk of work
beyond what is necessary now, even in light of the shift in models.

As to your question in your follow-up email, I'm saying that moving the
entire subject of transparency into WS1 signals a failure to believe that
WS2 is real and can be relied on.  If I'm a fool to believe in WS2, then we
have bigger issues than where to deal with broad transparency reforms in
our workflow.

Greg