[CCWG-ACCT] Contribution on Transparency Reforms for CCWG / Budget veto/ Financial reporting

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Thu Oct 29 18:35:40 UTC 2015

I would argue that transparency must be broader. As a member, the right to inspect would be backed by U.S. law. As a designator, it would be enforced by incorporation into the bylaws. Thus, the lesser legal standing should be augmented by greater means and avenues to examine ICANN's activities, which would be instrumental in making the case to the community that ICANN is acting contrary to the wishes of the community and, thereby, spurring action up the enforcement escalation path.

Yes, I now have posting privileges. I hope we all do not come to regret it. :-)

Brett Schaefer
Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom
Davis Institute for National Security and Foreign Policy
The Heritage Foundation
214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002
202-608-6097