[CCWG-ACCT] Contribution on Transparency Reforms for CCWG / Budget veto/ Financial reporting

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Oct 29 22:23:54 UTC 2015

Hello Phil,

>>  Dare I mention $60M gTLD auction proceeds

Well the auction funds are straight forward at the moment.   They are completely segregated and won’t be spent until the ICANN community has completed its process on how these should be used.   The amount of such funds is clearly reported publicly.

My understanding is that most of the volunteer resources in the ICANN community are consumed by the IANA transition and accountability work - so there hasn’t been much work done on the how to use the auction funds yet.   I am aware though that it is proposed to form a cross-community working group to consider the topic.

>>  and the $89.3 M "remaining balance" re new GTLDs  as per the FY16 Operating Plan & Budget.

This is more complex.

One of the initiatives in the Board finance committee at the moment is trying to determine what level of reserve funds is appropriate for ICANN and whether the reserve should consist of different categories - e.g. a reserve against future  new gTLD legal costs, a reserve for future security and stability issues etc.

I think the Board finance committee would welcome your views on how to manage and report on reserve funds.   Once a DRAFT policy is developed - I think it would also be appropriate to put out for public comment before it is approved by the Board.

Feel free to reach out to Cherine and Asha on the reserve fund topic - as they are the co-chairs of the finance committee.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin